More babies are born at Women and Babies Hospital (WBH) than any other hospital in Lancaster County. With the demand for placenta encapsulation increasing steadily, more and more women are requesting the release of their placentas after giving birth.
While WBH acknowledges that there is no scientific data supporting the benefits of placenta encapsulation, they have moved forward in creating a policy for women to take their placentas home.
Here is what you need to know:
- Discuss your desire to take your placenta home during your prenatal appointments with your attending care provider
- Providing your care provider with this fact sheet will be a beneficial tool
- You will be asked to sign a release form
- WBH is unable to store your placenta in their facility, so a cooler will be necessary
- WBH asks that the placenta be removed from the hospital immediately after birth
- you may want to arrange ahead of time to have a friend/family member transport the placenta in a cooler back to your home refrigerator
- A negative STD panel is required for release of your placenta
- If refusing an STD panel, your placenta will be treated with formaldehyde before its release which would make your placenta unsafe for ingestion
- Occasional other clinical indications may prevent you from being able to take your placenta home, this is assessed on a case by base basis
Who do we have to thank for this positive step forward in Women’s care? The nurses at WBH. They listen, they care, and they have the ability to initiate change. Next time you see a nurse from WBH, make sure you thank them for their heart centered work.
To learn more about the anecdotal benefits of placenta encapsulation, click here.
Click here to schedule a phone consultation to have your placenta encapsulated in Adams, Berks, Chester, Cumberland, Dauphin, Lancaster, Lebanon, Montgomery, Schuykill or York Counties.
2 thoughts on “It’s True – WBH Will Now Officially Release Your Placenta”
what do you do with it
Dawn, many families are now encapsulating their placentas for the supporting benefits of nutritional/hormonal adjustment after giving birth. Follow this link if you want to read more! http://www.lancasterdoulas.com/placenta-encapsulation-services/